This position is responsible to operate various controls of hot reversing roughing mill & heavy shear and process preheated ingots of various grades and sizes to the required bar thickness for further processing at hot continuous mill to attain calculated production rate. Ensures smooth rolling operations by checking all data entries, Level I and Level II set-up relative to slab tracking and rolling parameters, that mill is set to automatic mode by conducting dummy bar rolling prior to mill start-up. Also, ensures good standards of housekeeping in the work area, compliance with all the standard working and safety procedures and instructions. Performs any additional task as assigned by Lead Operator or Supervisor.
- Operates Hot Reversing mill controls to reduce preheated ingot to the required transfer bar thickness and width and maintains standard ingot discharge interval to attain calculated production rate.
- Ensures smooth rolling operations by checking roll data entries, Level I and Level II set-up relative to slab tracking and rolling parameters, that mill is set to automatic mode by conducting dummy bar rolling prior to mill start-up.
- Observes condition of the ingot being processed for surface quality, potential processing problems such as camber, alligator, and turn up or turn down and makes necessary correction.
- Conducts HRM work rolls and back-up rolls change and checks correct roll data entries, roll coolant, emulsion, roll surface cleaners, wipers, and roll strippers.
- Accomplishes equipment checklist prior to start-up after down day or shutdown.
- Monitors work rolls and back-up rolls life for planned roll change.
- Calibrates the mill after each roll change & Entry & Exit guides after down days, shutdowns and power outages.
- Logs process abnormalities, critical adjustments in operating parameters such as offset levelling, and turn-up and turn-down correction.
- Calibrates heavy shear side guides.
- Ensures timely replacement of scrap buckets by AGV.
- Assists ground crew in cobble removal.
- Assists Preheat Furnace operator during emergencies.
- Provides direction and troubleshooting assistance to maintenance whenever a process or equipment abnormality is observed.
- Identifies and rectifies quality problems, suggests solutions and corrective actions.
- Coordinates with other control pulpit operators, crane operators, and mill floor crews for safe and productive operations.
- Inspects table rolls for any slivers or loose debris.
- Ensures good standards of housekeeping in the work area.