As a Fire Captain, under general direction from the Deputy Chief, you will be required to plan, coordinate, assign, direct, and participate in emergency and non-emergency operations and activities of the assigned shift on a fire station; serve as incident commander at emergency scenes ensuring adequate level of command is available, manage all Fire Rescue Services personnel are available for each shift; ensures all assigned activities are carried out effectively, efficiently and according to department guidelines and policies to protect life and property; performs related duties, as required.
Role and Responsibilities
· All vehicles and equipment are to be checked and serviced in accordance with the Fire Station servicing schedule. Any defects or deficiencies reported or discovered during the duty are to be serviced or replaced immediately and the actions recorded in the Fire Occurrence Book.
· All fire incidents are to be reported; any incidents to Fire Station staff resulting in an injury are to be reported using the appropriate format. Captains are to carry out maintenance of skills training during each shift in accordance with the Fire Station maintenance of skill training syllabus. Records of all practice incidents and all training sessions are to be updated and maintained through the Fire Station training system for all Fire Rescue Services personnel.
· All fire incidents are to be recorded and reported using the appropriate systems and documentation.
· Enforce departmental policies, procedures, and disciplinary actions, as required or necessary.
· Coordinate emergency and non-emergency response activities with those of other divisions including external agencies and organizations.
Attend and participate in professional group meetings including but not limited to Morning daily briefing, Hot Debriefs etc.