Database specialist Job Description
The Database Administrator specialist analyzes, designs, creates, and implements databases including access methods, device allocations, validating checks, organization, performance, integrity, and security of a database, and security.
You'll be involved in the planning and development of the database, as well as in troubleshooting any issues on behalf of the users.
You'll ensure that:
• Data remains consistent across the database
• Data is clearly defined
• Users access data concurrently, in a form that suits their needs
• There is provision for data security and recovery control (ensuring all data is retrievable in an emergency).
• Assists in the design of data models and physical databases, data dictionaries, and schemas.
• Installs, upgrades, and tests database software.
• Assists in the development of database recovery plans and procedures.
• Troubleshoots database issues.
• Monitors database environment.
• Develops knowledge of the operational database and data structure.
• Provides support across multiple mongo dB database environments.
The primary function will be in support of MongoDB technology platforms and application databases in production, development, and test environments.
Activities and responsibilities of the position include but not limited to the following:
• Participate in the design, implementation, and support of MongoDB databases and distributed systems in a client/server environment.
• Provide technical leadership for MongoDB related initiatives, database administration, and maintenance activities.
• Plans database upgrades by maintaining, evaluating, and improving a transaction processing model
• Assesses database performance by developing a protocol for measurement of results and identification of problem areas.
• Supports application design by contributing expertise to applications, operations, and technical support teams.
• Able to translate a data model or logical database design into an actual physical database implementation and to manage that database once implemented.
• Work with Developers/Users to resolve data conflicts and inappropriate data usage.
• Implementation and support of HA Clustering.
• Performance analysis tools related to KPI’s like database storage I/O, CPU, Memory, and TPS.
• Installing, configuring, and maintaining multiple MongoDB instances.
• ETL processes, Job Scheduling, routine MongoDB maintenance.
• Migrating from SQL(MySQL) to NoSQL (MongoDB).
• Manage data exporting and importing across database systems.
• Database reporting.
• Performance tuning and optimization of stored procedures, scripting, and select queries.
• Design, implementation and troubleshooting backup/recovery for MongoDB databases
• Secures database by preparing access and control policies and procedures; implementing disaster recovery procedures for database restoration in alternate locations
• Understanding of MongoDB database security access and authentication (LDAP and Active Directory)
• Provide database connectivity and access support throughout the organization.
• Write database documentation, including data standards, procedure guidelines. and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata).
• Monitor database activities on a daily basis to ensure the reliability and security of databases.
• Ensure that the database is properly tested and bugs are fixed appropriately.
• Able to ensure data availability using non-disruptive administration tactics.
• Able to predict growth based on application and data usage patterns and to implement the necessary database changes to accommodate such growth.
• Able to integrate database administration requirements and tasks with general systems management requirements and tasks (like job scheduling, network management, transaction processing, and so on).
• Good understanding of storage hardware and software, including how it interacts with the DBMS.
• Installing, configuring, and troubleshooting for high availability.
• Establish the needs of users and monitor user access and security.
• Monitor performance and manage parameters in order to provide fast responses to front-end users.
• Consider both back-end organization of data and front-end accessibility for end-users.
• Further refining the physical design to meet system storage requirements.
• Install and test new versions of the database management system (DBMS).
• Maintain data standards, including adherence to the data protection act.
• Ensure that storage and archiving procedures are functioning correctly.
• Carry out capacity planning.
• Communicate regularly with technical, applications, and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security.
• Manage the security and disaster recovery aspects of a database.
• Prepare database project status reports to the project manager.
• Prepare database reports for managers as needed.
Requirements and Qualifications
• Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems (MIS), Engineering or any related field.
• Certifications in any relevant SQL and Mongo database certifications:
• Minimum five (5) years of business experience as MySQL and Mongo database administrator.
You will need to show:
• knowledge of structured query language (SQL), Unix and DBMS
• Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
• Good communication, teamwork, and negotiation skills.
• Familiarity with the main data manipulation languages and the principles of database design.
• The ability to work to tight deadlines under pressure.
• Good organizational skills.
• Flexibility and adaptability.
• The ability to create and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues and customers.
• Business awareness and understanding of business requirements of it.
• A willingness to keep up to date with developments in new technology.
• A commitment to continuing professional development.
• An understanding of information legislation, such as the data protection act.