A dairy farm manager is responsible for the financial and physical performance of the farm and as such will be highly skilled in all aspects of the farm business. In this role you will be responsible for implementing the short and long term business plans. You will be expected to drive the business and work with CxO's to ensure success. You will be required to optimise the farm performance, in accordance with company policy.
Minimun Bachelors degree required in relevant field (for e.g Agribusiness Management, Agriculture)
Master's/Mphill/PhD in relevant field preferred
Excellent PR skills required, preferably good contacts with the relevant government officials, diary business associations and authorities
Any skills in Accounting and finance is an additional plus
GENERAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Feed Production Management
• Plan and allocate feed using feed budgeting techniques to achieve production targets
• Source required supplements and grazing to achieve production targets
• Develop and implement an annual nutrient management plan, with the fertiliser supplier
• Develop and implement cropping and regrassing programme
• Manage weeds and pests to maintain pasture and crops.
• Ensure effective management of all aspects of the milking process, including plant hygiene and somatic cell count, to maintain grade free standards.
• Should be aware of Quality control guidelines and milk processes such as Adulteration, Preservation, and examination.
• Should be well versed with producing and maintaing technical dairy bookkeeping e.g lactation charts, reproduction charts, breeding register, calving and calf register, growth record of young stock, daily feeding register, daily milk record register, health register, mortality register etc.
• Develop, review and implement animal health programme to maintain good health
• Develop and manage the mating programme to ensure mating targets are reached
• Manage calving and the calf rearing programme to achieve minimal losses and ensure high quality replacements are available for the herd
• Ensure all herd records are maintained
• Adhere to all relevant animal welfare codes.
• Work with CxO's to develop the 5 year Business Plan and annual budget
• Monitor seasonal expenditure in line with the budgeted cash flow
• Liaise with key rural professionals e.g. vet, fertiliser rep, stock agents and contractors to ensure smooth operation of the farm
• Ensure company products are presented for sale in line with company policy regarding, quality, quantity and timeliness of delivery
• Develop, review and manage repairs and maintenance schedule for all plant, machinery and infrastructure
• Ensure all relevant company policies are understood and adhered to.
• Manage the farm within consent conditions
• Work within best practice environmental guidelines
• Recruit and select staff
• Supervise day-to-day activity, organise rosters and schedule tasks/activities that need to be undertaken
• Provide training/coaching to staff to enable them to competently carry out tasks required of them on farm
• Conduct an annual review of staff performance (at least once a year for all on-farm staff)
• Maintain employment records
• Ensure that Health and Safety policies and procedures adhered to
• Ensure new staff are inducted and aware of company policies and are given role clarity.